Thursday, September 24, 2026

An Autumn Story


A flock of birds is ready to migrate,
and all are looking for a bird named Kate.
Kate is always, always late,
and finally, the others can't wait.
Kate arrives prepared to say, "Sorry,"
she didn't mean to make anyone worry,
but finds herself quite alone—
the woods are quiet, the birds all gone.
She sits waiting as the day grows dark,
hoping the flock may still come back;
she looks to the sky, heaves a sigh,
and tries very hard not to cry.
The temperatures drop, there is some frost,
and Kate is feeling truly lost,
two small squirrels soon appear,
saying, "Please don't worry, dear.
"Come find shelter behind the trees,
the two of us won't let you freeze.
Winter in the woods can be fun,
just wait till you meet everyone."
The cold months are indeed good
as Kate makes friends in the wood;
but still, you can hear the old refrain:
"Is Kate late? Oh no, not again!"
♡

Featured: Milk and soft drink bottles
upcycled into bird feeding
stations.

62 comments:

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh what a fun poem, but those bottles are adorable! I love how they were upcycled, so darling and delightful! A good reminder to not be late, but wonderful for the redeeming kindness of the squirrels!

VeggieMummy said...

Lovely poem - I was getting upset for Kate until the squirrels came to her rescue! Those bird feeders are fantastic; you are so creative. xx

Jo said...

Oh, that is such a lovely poem, and the bird feeders are just what are needed for birds like Kate.

Ann said...

Such a sweet poem. I'm glad Kate found help out there in the woods. Those bird feeder houses are adorable.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a cute poem. I almost cried and laughed at the same time for poor little Kate. I love your bird feeding stations- what a great idea Amalia and so artistic.

Live and Learn said...

I'm glad that Kate was saved at the end. I was getting quite worried for her. Another fun post.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Such pretty and creative little bird feeders!

Ellie Foster said...

A lovely poem to go with some lovely upcycling. I am sure the birds will be thankful for the food you have provided.
Best wishes
Ellie

Handmade in Israel said...

I love your bird feeding stations! And we all know someone who is late like Kate.

Chatty Crone said...

I do love the recycled bird houses and how you decorated them. I do hope that Kate won't be late anymore! Sandie

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Lovely poem and beautiful bird feeders.

Lowcarb team member said...

The bird feeders look great and I enjoyed your poem.

All the best Jan

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a sweet poem!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

I was starting to worry about Kate, but sounds like she is going to enjoy herself quite a lot this winter.

-Soma

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Muy bonitos y prácticos los comederos para pájaros, me gustan todas las versiones. Conmovedora la historia de Kate, por suerte tiene la comida asegurada en tú jardín. 😘😘😘

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Muy bonitos y prácticos los comederos para pájaros, me gustan todas las versiones. Conmovedora la historia de Kate, por suerte tiene la comida asegurada en tú jardín. 😘😘😘

Lin said...

I love your poem and the upcycling is great! x

Veronica Lee said...

Such a charming autumn tale -- poor Kate had me worried until the squirrels stepped in!
I love how the story turned from lonely to cozy, and those upcycled bird feeders are just delightful.

Jeanie said...

This is delightful and I love your little feeders!

Mary Kirkland said...

That's really cute.

Kinga K. said...

Lovely poem!

Rosie said...

I'm so glad Kate found those friendly squirrels, I started to worry for her:)

Louca por porcelana said...

Cute poem and beautiful artwork. Best wishes!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Sweet poem and photos!!
Thanks so much for visiting!!
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Cute poem, I am glad Kate met some friends in the woods.
The feeders are a great idea. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

Conniecrafter said...

How nice of the squirrels to make her not feel so alone :) Your recycled job with the bottles are all so neat.

Anna said...

We have to take care of little birds....And your lovely bird feeders are perfect !
Anna

Carla from The River said...

What a sweet poem.
And the craft idea is so cute!! My favorite is the first.

Granny Marigold said...

Great idea for simple bird feeders!
Poor Kate. there are also people who make a habit of being late.

MELODY JACOB said...

I felt a little pang in my chest for poor Kate because I am definitely that friend who is perpetually running late for everything. It warmed my heart when those squirrels stepped in to show her that getting left behind could actually lead to a new kind of home. Seeing those cute upcycled feeder bottles at the end was such a sweet touch too.

Hena Tayeb said...

These are all so pretty.

Kim said...

Adorable bird feeders! Where were you when I was teaching kindergarten and we were making them by coating pine cones with peanut butter? These are so much more fun! And a poem to boot! Love it!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com said...

I have a few friends who I shall call Kate from now on .... ;)

EricaSta said...

What a lovely idea. And of course Upcycling is always welcome.
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

Red Rose Alley said...

Those are delightful bird feeders you made from the milk carton and plastic bottles. They are creative.... and I like your art station with all the colored pens.

Happy October Amalia!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

The bottles are just adorable! I love the upcycle with them! And Kate's story is a good one! A good lesson in rhyme :) Blessings to you!

Pam Richardson said...

Amalia, that is the sweetest poem about Kate. You are so creative and such a unique way to upcycle!

Tom said...

Amalia, what a fun way to feed the birds!

Carol On The Lake said...

Your cute crafts are always delightful. I love that bird feeder, and the sweet poem.

Joanne said...

That is darling! You words evoke such imagery too.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my, these are great !!! Lovely poem too. Happy October Amalia :)

Diana said...

I like that Kate makes friends in the woods but still gets teased in the last lines, "Is Kate late? Oh no, not again!" That's just how it goes with friends who are always late. Cute poem, Amalia.

nicole orriens said...

Those birdhouses are great and I love the beautiful poem too.

Cat said...

What a sweet poem!

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a sweet poem! I was so relieved when the squirrels came to Kate's rescue. And those upcycled bottle bird feeders are absolutely adorable and so clever!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great use of everyday objects.

White and Vintage said...

Wunderschön liebe Amalia. Solche Vogelhäuschen aus Safttüten habe ich auch schon gemacht.
Liebe Grüße
Christine

Vintage Style Gal said...

I adore your poems, and those bottles are the cutest. I hope you have as much fun creating each poem and background as I enjoy reading them and seeing what you have been up to.

Junkchiccottage said...

Love the poem and of course the bird feeder bottles are adorable. Hugs Kris

Kay G. said...

I do love the poem but the squirrels in my yard would take those bottles down in a squirrely fashion! LOL!

Bless said...

Lovely poem and feeders made from recycled items. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed reading your poem! Your bird feeders are lovely.

Aritha V. said...

Oooh that is so "leuk"

Daniela said...

This is truly lovely, dearest Amalia, you never fail to amaze me, you're so sweet and adorable.
And your feeders are truly pretty, thank you for sharing your stupendous world.
XO Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

Mary Kirkland said...

How cute. I like what you made.

Barwitzki said...

Oh yes, I put the birdhouse out starting in November, and I also hang small feeders in the trees... the ones you made are lovely.
Best regards,
Have a wonderful weekend.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Lovely poem and very creative bird feeders!

Elena said...

Eu leio seus poemas para minha neta, gosto deles. Abraço

Amy Johnson said...

These are such cute and creative bird feeders! I love them!

Maria Rodrigues said...

Creative and beautiful ideas for bird feeders.
Lovely poema.

Rostrose said...

Oh, that Kate, always up to something! 😅
It’s a very sweet poem, dear Amalia; and the bird feeders are a great idea and—as always—delightfully done by you! I love it!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/10/reisebericht-2025-kekuli-bay-spion-kop.html

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Very sweet bird feeders Amalia. You are so creative. Thank you for sharing at Love Your Creativity.