Five reasons I'm giving Five Stars to:
The Right Sort of Man
by Allison Montclair:
1. The period - We are in 1946 in London
as the city is slowly recovering from
WWII and shortages and loneliness
2. The plot - Two young women decide to go
into business together and open
The Right Sort Marriage Bureau.
It doesn't help that one of their very
first customers is murdered.
3. The characters - Iris Sparks and Gwendolyn Bainbridge
come from different backgrounds, have different
personalities and life experiences. No reason,
of course, not to become best friends.
Each is a great character in her own right
and both capture our hearts.
4. The issues - While the book is a historical
mystery with the emphasis firmly on
the murder case, it touches on questions of
gender, class and personal responsibility
in very intelligent ways.
5. The summary - If you are in the mood
for a well-written fun read, full of charm,
energy and plot twists, with two lively and
lovely women, this is the book for you.
It is the first in a new series.
Featured: A small needlework