Five reasons I'm giving Five Stars to:
by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows :
1. It's a one-off - Mary Ann Shaffer had the idea for the story for many years
and finally wrote it just before she died. Her niece Annie Barrows finished it for her.
2. I love the story - No worries, I’m not about to give the plot away.
I’ll just say that the story unfolds through a correspondence between Juliet,
a London-based writer, her close friends, and some of the inhabitants of Guernsey,
one of the Channel Islands.
3. The Vintage Vibe - The plot takes place in the aftermath of the Second World War
and touches on friendship and bravery and the magic of books.
4. Shaffer must have read another one of my favorite books -
84 Charing Cross Road. The similarities are obvious but
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society does have its own voice
and darling protagonist.
5. I've had it on my wish list for years and years
but the only copies I could locate on-line were unreasonably expensive.
And then I found it in mint condition in a charity shop for 75p.
Featured: some of my cross-stitched bookmarks.