Down a Dark River by Karen Odden:
1. The stage - the year is 1878 and we are in Victorian
London, a time of discovery and innovation,
a time when people are still bound by their class and history.
2. The lead - Michael Corravan is an inspector in Scotland
Yard, a young man with a prickly character and complicated
history, in no hurry to share his secrets.
3. The supporting cast - Corravan is surrounded by a motley
crew of friends and colleagues who all add another
dimension both to his character and to the story.
4. The plot - the book, the first in a new series,
begins with the disappearance of one woman,
the murder of another and a river that runs between them.
Nothing more from me, this is a spoiler-free zone.
5. The summary - if you are in the market for a
hard-to-put-down historical mystery with a different voice,
plenty of atmosphere, plot twists, suspense, quality writing
and a satisfying end, this could well be the book for you.
Featured: I upcycled these bags
with a tea wash and embroidery.